Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sangria and Sun

Few things are better in life than a glass (or two) of sangria on a warm sunny summer day. And when I say sangria, I mean red sangria - no white for me. Honestly, where else can you get a full daily serving of fruit and a refreshing alcoholic beverage all in one? I found this recipe back when I started making paella, although I don't recall the source. And boy do they go together, which may be why I can't recall the source. Anyway, the secret ingredient is Grand Marnier, and it is worth it - no scrimping. Now, some folks tell me that those pre-made sangrias are mighty fine, but I have never tasted one that I thought was better than this. The only dilemma is that you mix everything together and it has to refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, so patience is definitely a virtue. And did I mention that is is healthy? Mmmmmm, alcohol soaked fruit.




From 1972 until 1977 Redd Foxx and Demond Wilson starred as Sanford and Son (Fred and Lamont, respectively) on NBC. Fred Sanford was meant to be the answer to Archie Bunker, and both shows were take offs of successful BBC comedies (so even back then all the good TV show ideas originated in the UK). The family junk business in the WATTS section of Los Angeles was the setting for much of the comedy, and of Fred's often feigned heart attacks ("the big one") whenever he needed to fully manipulate his dutiful son.  Of course, that shtick came back to haunt Redd, when he actually suffered and died of a heart attack in 1991 on the set of another show, The Royal Family (apparently being the Foxx who cried wolf doesn't pay). Anyway, Sanford and Son was so successful in it's 8p Friday time slot that it was actually a contributing factor to the cancellation of The Brady Bunch (along with Cousin Oliver) in 1974 which aired on ABC at the same time. I knew I never liked this show, and now I know why.



The Recipe:

1 bottle red wine (makes me feel so fine)
1/4 c Grand Marnier
1/4 c orange juice
2 tblsp sugar
1 orange, sliced
1 green apple, cored and cut into cubes
1 red apple, cored and cut into cubes
5 oz sparkling water

In a large pitcher, combine all ingredients except sparkling water. Chiil 4 to 6 hours covered. Add sparkling water before serving. Makes about 6 glasses.

1 comment: