Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing

Because the crazy nature of my job right now, I find myself in some unusual places. This past weekend was no exception. I spent two days at the Festa Italiana (that's the Italian Festival for all you non I-talians) in Mt. Clemens. The highlight of the day was the cannoli eating contest. Now, I have a hard and fast personal rule to only consume one cannoli. This is sometimes referred to as the "Second Cannoli Rule" and I don't think I have to tell you why I have only second cannolied once. In the high stakes world of competitive eating, regurgitation is politely referred to as a "reversal of fortune". And let's just say, I had some bad luck - once(in my defense, it was after consuming a large meal at the Roma Cafe, Detroit's oldest Italian restaurant).  Anyway, the contestants had 5 minutes to consume as many cannolis as possible and the winner was a 17 year old kid who ate 11. You don't want to know what happened to the second place finisher. Every contestant received a "It's Not a Party Until the Cannoli Comes Out" t-shirt. That's amore in The Clem!




"I can't believe I ate the whole thing" - the Alka Seltzer tag line of the early 1970s. It's no "plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh, what a relief it is" but almost as good. And, I am sure all over and competitive eaters would agree! (play the video)



The Recipe:

A good cannoli must be filled just before consuming, so the shell has a crunch to it.
Never eat a cannoli that has been sitting, it will be soggy.
I prefer cream, but ricotta is good, too.
I prefer mine rolled in chocolate chips, but nuts have their place.
Serving size: 1 - seriously, you do not want to second cannoli.

1 comment: