Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Dinner (Formerly Known as Prince Spaghetti Night)

Everybody loves a simple but delicious weeknight home cooked meal, right? Right. That's why when we are out of season for Nonies Meatsauce (mainly spring and summer when it is way too hot to slave over a pot of sauce for 5 hours) this little bolognese is my go to pasta go with. And the pasta, you ask? Well, when not making my own (again, not a warm weather dish as the humidity wreaks havoc with the dough) I use Barilla. Billed as Italy's #1 pasta, but interestingly made in New Jersey.  It is the best authentic Italian store bought dried cheap spaghetti available, from New Jersey - fuggetaboutit.



There are almost too many places to go here, especially if I were wearing my raspberry beret driving my little red corvette in 1999, but I am sticking with retro chic kitsch and going for the 1970s ad campaign for Prince Spaghetti, known as Prince Spaghetti Night, which I believe was Wednesdays. Scathingly brilliant in its success of associating a brand with a hump day dinner and an unforgettable commercial to boot.




The Recipe:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 carrot peeled and minced
1 pound ground beef chuck
1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
salt to taste

Heat oil in a dutch oven or other heavy pot and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the carrot and cook about 5 minutes more. Add the beef and cooking, breaking up chunks, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and salt and cook over medium heat until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Then call Anthony home. Serves 4.

If you like what you see here, like "In My Kitsch-en" on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment