Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pita CHiPs

So we get invited to someone's house for dinner, and then right before the date, the hostess asks me to bring an appetizer. This is always a conundrum, as you want something tasty, that can be made ahead of, can be served cold or room temp and that travels well. I decided upon making a white bean dip (sort of an Italian hummus if you will) and for added flair, my own pita chips. I mean, anybody can buy  pita chips, so I must stand out by making my own. Fairly simple, the recipe comes from Giada De Laurentiis' "Everyday Italian" cookbook. I varied twice from her instructions, however. First, she uses dried oregano. Having none in my pantry (I know, right?), I used dried rosemary. Personally, I'm a sucker for rosemary and frankly, everything is better with rosemary (just ask Rosemary Clooney). Second, baking is supposed to be 16 minutes total, 8 on each side. However, after the first 8, my were done. Other that, perfecto!



California Highway (I'd like to buy a vowel) Patrol s, NBC's 1977-1983 police action car chase drama-comedy starring Erik Estrada and some other guy, Larry Wilcox, I think. Anyway, Ponch (Estrada) and his side kick fight California's freeway crime on motorcycles. Big, honkin police powered motorcycles. Responding to multi-car pile-ips on the 101 like no body's business for eight reved up seasons. Eventually, even Erik Estrada's chips got stale and the show was cancelled. Nevertheless, in my opinion, not only does the opening sequence tell the whole story, it might be my favorite TV show that I never watched montage ever. Take a peak at the CHiPs clip:



The Recipe:

4 pita loaves, cut in half horizontally
2 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp oregano (or rosemary)
1tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut each pita into 8 wedges (using a pizza wheel is best). Lay pita wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet (I had to use 2 and both ovens) and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and herb of choice. Bake for 8 minutes. Turn and bake for another 8 minutes (if you dare) until CRisP and golden brown. Let cool. Can be made ahead of time and sealed in an air tight (like an alibi) container.

If you like what you see here, like "In My Kitsch-en" on facebook




No comments:

Post a Comment