Tuesday, April 22, 2014

SLAW & ORDER: SSU

SSU, otherwise known as Special Syndication Unit. Originally posted May 14,2013 and living in in re-runs for perpetuity...

"In the blogosphere, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the eaters who investigate food and the cooks who prosecute the recipes. These are their stories."

By any other name Asian Broccoli Slaw would still taste as sweet. This is literally my go-to party pot luck and everyday side dish. I originally got the recipe from my sister Judy (yes, Judy; not one of the usual suspects, I know) , but she used regular shredded cabbage cole slaw mix. And I did too for years, until by good fortune and happenstance, Trader Joe's starting carrying shredded broccoli slaw mix. Ah Ha! An idea was born, and as it turns out, this is the only way the Julia child will consume broccoli - so a two-fer. The variation on the them is that sometimes, depending on the occasion and availability in my fridge, I will add marinated grilled chicken as well. I actually feel as if I'm phoning it in if I do, and damned when I don't make and take this with me - everyone is so happy to see and so disappointed (as if I have committed a crime) if I bring something else. I guess some people don't mind the same show, I mean recipe, over and over and over again.



LAW & ORDER, the longest running drama in American television history - 20 years on the air (only The Simpsons and Gunsmoke come close, and that is odd but good company). Who knew that NBC's answer to ABC's NYPD Blue would become such a TV phenom? Cleverly scripting each "ripped from the headlines" plot to first show the crime and the arrest by the police (that's the law) and then shifting to the district attorneys who prosecute the offenses (that's the order) for the trial and sentencing. So popular, the series spawned many spin-offs: LAW & ORDER: SVU, LAW & ORDER: Criminal Intent, LAW & ORDER: The College Years. And who can forget the dramatic sound effects, tying the whole show together? (Play the video)




The Recipe:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (optional)
1/2 cup soy ginger marinade (only if you are opting the chicken)
14 - 16 oz pkg broccoli slaw mix (Trader's Joe's brand preferred)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
Ramen Noodle, Oriental Flavor (who says "oriental" anymore anyway? Sooo politically incorrect)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tblsp white vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

If going for the chicken, marinate in soy ginger for 45 minutes. Grill chicken and allow to cool before chopping. In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients (sugar, vinegar, oil, pepper and flavor packet from Ramen Noodles) until well mixed. In a large bowl, mix chicken, broccoli, almonds, and crumbled Ramen Noodles. Add dressing and toss (not throw out, mix well).

No comments:

Post a Comment