Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Ghost and Mr Chicken Pot Pie

I am republishing my very first post in honor of the occasion that yesterday was the second anniversary of this blog. I am probably not the only person surprised that it has lasted this long. Funny thing, when I originally wrote this, I titled it simply "Chicken Pot Pie" - even though I was using the Don Knotts tie in, I was afraid to be too goofy or out there. Boy, how times have changed! I think I hit my stride with Who Jell-O Shot JR and have been off to the races ever since. A very big thank you to my readers from the US to Russia to China , Australia and the Ukraine and lots of countries in between, without whom I would not be nearing the 3000 page view mark. 

Chicken pot pie is a staple at our house. This recipe was originally cut out of the Detroit Free Press 15 or 20 years ago and was based on the pot pie they used to make at the Hudson's Department Store restaurant. As any Detroiter  knows, Hudson's has been gone for many years, and has had three incarnations since then (Dayton's, Marshall Fields and now Macy's) so I have no idea if they still make it. But I do, at least once a month, or whenever we have rotisserie chicken, the next day with the leftovers. This recipe just has a top crust. I use the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets. I have tried other puff pastry, including Trader Joe's, but have found the PF to be the best. You will also need four individual casserole dishes (1-2 cup capacity). Mine are Pyrex and are so old, I don't even know where they came from, but I suspect they were the result of a late-night Home Shopping Club purchase in the 1980's.





I call this the "Ghost and Mr. Chicken" pot pie in honor of the unsung actor of his generation - Don (or should I say Donald?) Knotts. A true comic genius, and not just for his work on the Andy Griffith Show and the aforementioned film, but also let's not forget The Reluctant Astronaut, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, all of the Apple Dumpling Gang movies, The Shakiest Gun in the West and the pinnacle of his career (at least for me) Scooby Doo. Just hearing Scooby say "Don Knotts" makes me chuckle. Now, some of you are like "hey, what about Three's Company?" and I will say that once Norman Fell was gone, I no longer watched that show. But, for you Mr. Furley fans, this one's for you too.








The Recipe::

1 sheet frozen puff pastry. thawed
3 tbs butter (or margarine - I go back and forth)
1/4 c flour
2 c chicken broth (fat free works great)
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked
1/2 c frozen peas and carrots, thawed
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees

In a medium skillet, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook for one minute, whisking. Add the broth, whisking until smooth. Heat to a boil and cook until thickened (about 2 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, add the chicken and the peas and carrots. Divide evenly among the casseroles. Cut the pastry sheet into quarters, make 2 one-inch slits in each piece, and place on top of each casserole. Bake for 20 or until pastry is puffed and golden (like the Oscar statue that Don Knotts never received).

If you like what you see here, like "In My Kitsch-en" on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment