Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Family Thai(s) Green Beans

Heaven, I'm in heaven, and it is all thanks to my friend Ann and her smart buy at a subdivision garage sale. You see, she landed a stash of Cook's Illustrated magazines, and from the pile one issue emerged and spoke to me. My favorite dish at my favorite Thai restaurant (Sy Thai in Birmingham if you must know) is Prik Khing, which is greens beans, prik curry sauce (whatever that is) and your choice of meat (usually chicken). Anyway, skimming through the January/February 2007 issue, I came across a recipe entitled Schezuan Greens Beans at Home and my interest and taste buds were immediately peaked. Running through the ingredient list, I was surprise to find all but one was a normal pantry item - even the sherry, for which I bought a bottle during my Cooking With Alice phase and used only a tablespoon or two. The only thing I didn't have was the toasted sesame oil, but after a quick trip to the internet (which is always easier that a trip to the store) I realized I could make my own - toasting sesame seeds, crushing them and mixing with oil. The recipe also calls for ground pork, but I had some leftover grilled pork tenderloin in the fridge, so I used that instead. Truly delicious and hauntingly similar to the restaurant version. The key is to cook the beans until they shrivel, otherwise they aren't tender enough.



Ah, the 80s and their Regan era sitcoms. NBC's Family Ties was no exception, melding hippies from the 60s with their mainstream nuclear existence in suburban Ohio as parents with 3 (eventually 4 when the Cousin Oliver syndrome hit the show) children, one of whom bucked the liberal trend by being a devoted Young Republican and capitalist. Catapulting Michael J. Fox to stardom, the show followed the antics of Alex P. Keaton and family through the trials and tribulations of growing up, always with a heartfelt laugh track. I mean, what could be more entertaining than a father who works for PBS instilling his values on a son devoted to supply side economics? And did  you ever notice that big commercial stove in their kitchen? Oh, how I envied that as a young girl. Rather cheesy theme song, however, I mean what would we do with out us? Sha la la la.


The Recipe:

2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dry sherry
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dry mustard
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound green beans, ends trimmed. cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 pound ground pork (but you know I love reruns, so I use whatever leftover pork I have, chopped)
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp toasted sesame oil

In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, sherry, sugar, cornstarch, white pepper, pepper flakes, mustard and water until sugar dissolves, set aside. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add beans and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp and tender, and skins are shriveled and blackened in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer beans to a large plate. Reduce heat to medium high and add pork to now empty skillet. Cook, breaking into small pieces, until no pink remains, about 2 minutes (if using leftover cooked pork, add to pan and warm through). Add garlic and ginger, cook stirring constantly, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Return beans to pan and add sauce. Toss and cook until sauce is thickened, 5 to 10 seconds. Remove from pan and stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately. Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment