Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Deep Fried Ravioli

Even though it is fried and true, this famous appetizer from St Louis is well known as "toasted" ravioli. But it's fried, trust me. I first had them many moons ago on a business trip to St. Louis and more specifically, a to an Italian neighborhood there known as "The Hill". Intrigued, and urged on by all of the natives, I was game. And every restaurant has it on the menu - it is as ubiquitous as Busch Beer. But, I guess once you have a hit, it's easier to go with what works than risk something new. The recipes I found all used whole milk or buttermilk as the liquid, along with the requisite egg and breadcrumbs. Being the rebel that I am, I used what I had on hand, 2% milk - ignoring the potential need for a higher fat content, I mean isn't frying instead of toasting fatty enough?!  Again, being the deviant that I am, in place of the traditional marinara sauce for dipping, I used some delicious leftover pomodoro sauce (see Big Night Pomodoro Sauce) from the previous night's dinner.I have to say, they came out great.  The only thing I would do differently, if I were to to repeat my success, is to use a larger ravioli. I only had small round ones leftover in the freezer and you didn't quite get enough of the ricotta flavor with each bite. One last thing, these are definitely a make at home treat for anyone outside the Greater St Louis area, as here in Detroit, toasted ravioli is an unknown delicacy - although I've heard tales (suburban myths likely) that one of the chain "Italian" restaurants has them on their menu. I'm the wrong person to ask of such things, as those who know me know I only patronize small local establishments, of which there are many. I was so lucky to be born in my favorite city.



On the heels of Jaws summer blockbuster success, moviegoers were ready to go back into the water with another Peter Benchley tome, The Deep. 1977's underwater thriller starring Nick Notle, Jacqueline Bisset, Louis Gossett Jr and Robert Shaw (this time his fate is to be fried, not eaten). The plot thickens as Notle and Bisset innocently uncover a cache of morphine and Spanish treasure from a shipwreck while scuba diving off the coast of Bermuda. Let's stop here for a moment so I can tell you that 12year old me was so enthralled with the gorgeous Bermuda backdrop of this fine film that it became my life's ambition to travel there. 25 year old me made it, so did 30 year old me and 45 year old me. Dare to dream people, dare to dream. Now back to our story....enter Haitian drug lords who use black magic on our young heroes in order to unearth the morphine, a double-crossing treasure hunter, and the lone survivor of said shipwreck with questionable motives. All willing to kill for a prize worth, you guessed it, one million dollars. Talk about jumping the shark....


The Recipe:

  • Vegetable oil, for frying
  • large egg 
  • 2 tablespoons milk 
  • 2/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 24 refrigerated cheese ravioli or frozen, thawed
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 2 cups  marinara sauce

Special Equipment: Heavy bottomed pot, candy thermometer, wax paper (which really isn't special)
  1. Pour enough vegetable oil into a large, deep pot so that it reaches a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325°F.
  2. While vegetable oil is heating, whisk together egg and milk in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Working in batches, dip ravioli into egg mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl, then coat with bread crumbs. Place coated ravioli on wax paper. 
  3. Line a plate with paper towels. Fry ravioli in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes total. Be careful not to crowd ravioli in pan, and make sure oil comes back to 325°F before adding another batch of ravioli. Transfer fried ravioli to lined plate to drain. Sprinkle fried ravioli with grated Parmesan. Warm marinara sauce. Serve fried ravioli with warmed marinara on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment