Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bacon Jam Tart to Tart

This comes courtesy of my friend Julie (see My Big Fat Greek Spinach Pie). Julie loves to impress me, and with this one she had me at "bacon". She served this as a n appetizer at her National Fried Chicken day dinner party - did I mention I heart Julie? Julie says:

My friend Jamie was visiting from Houston and brought me back what said was the quintessential Texas food (and the only thing she could think of that I didn't already have), bacon jam. It has been in my pantry for months (luckily it has a long shelf life, bacon is good like that), and I had no idea what to do with it. Since I was hosting a group of bacon eating men for dinner, I thought it was time to bring it out of hiding. I googled, "what do you do with bacon jam?" and this is the recipe I found. Martha Stewart has a recipe for the jam if you don't have any trips to Houston planned.

Houston, we do not have a problem, as they were delicious.



What to do when your carer is on the rocks, your Hollywood legend of a wife is found suspiciously drowned but before you are old enough to resort reverse mortgage infomercials? Star in a TV detective series with Stephanie Powers, of course. Hart to Hart aired  from 1979 to 1984 on ABC courtesy of none other than Sidney Sheldon and Aaron Spelling. Jet setters Jonathan and Jennifer Hart travel the globe (mostly in their yellow Mercedes) fighting crime in their spare time. Believe it or not, the producers first choice for the role was not Robert Wagner, but none other than Cary Grant. But Grant was 75 at the time so they opted for the younger Wagner. Murder most foul was the number one issue they faced in between tanning sessions and hair appointments, and with the help of a faithful butler and a rescue dog, they always got their man even when he was a woman.


The Recipe:

One sheet of puff pastry
Jar of imported Texas Bacon Jam (or make your own via MS)
Shredded Havarti

Special Equipment: Friend from Texas and mini muffin pan

Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Cut into squares and gently press into mini muffin tins. Fill cups with bacon jam + shredded Havarti. Bake @ 400 for 15 min or until browned. Serve warm or at room temp.

If you like what you see here, like "In My Kitsch-en" on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment