Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gnocchi on Wood

What is this you say, another post about gnocchi - is she out of her mind, or terribly forgetful? No, I say. I know I have gnocchied before, but consider this a better take on gnocchi. Ok, so here's the story about a lovely gnocchi board. As my regular readers know, I have been making gnocchi with Nonies meat sauce for eons (see Gnip Gnop Gnocchi). But recently, I noticed my foodie friend Phil posted a pic of his gnocchi and I instantly could tell he used a special device to get the crevices on the dumplings to look so uniform. Upon further investigation, Phil revealed his use of a gnocchi board, obtained on a trip to Italy, no less. (Secretly, I would love to get him to guest blog here, as he is lover, not a fighter, of both food and pop culture.) Anyway, it was then that I knew I had to have one. Luck would have it that Christmas was on the horizon,  and I put an Italian gnocchi board on my list, (it's really a little wooden paddle with ridges) as well as Lidia Bastianich"s "Favorite Recipes" book. Having been a good girl all year, I received both and to my surprise Lidia had a recipe for gnocchi the likes of which I had never heard - she boils (not bakes) her potatoes first. Yes, that's right, she boils baking potatoes. She also puts the cooked potatoes through a ricer, instead of merely mashing them. This I had to try. And, armed with my trusty gnocchi board I set to work. Generally, I shy away from kitchen gadgets that have but one use, but this one makes making gnocchi child's play, gnocchi for dummies if you will. The gnocchi came out lighter, fluffier and prettier than my old recipe and I will never look back. The Julia child's exact quote (not wanting to put words in her mouth) upon her first bite: "Heaven".



Gnocchi isn't the only thing for dummies. No, there is actually a museum (the world's largest and only) ventriloquism museum, aptly named Vent Haven, located in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky (just over the bridge from Cincinnati). Founded by a nut job named William Shakespeare Berger (W.S. to his "friends") who began his dummy collection in 1910 with the purchase of Tommy Baloney. His obsession, or hobby, led him to the high ranking position of President of the International Brotherhood of Ventriloquists. Lucky for us, as we were able to visit  his "museum" in 2011 (by appointment, mind you), he left a foundation to care for his 700 "friends". Words cannot adequately describe the experience. Just try and explain to your 21st century child that at one time the most popular form of entertainment was listening to a ventriloquist act on the radio. You decide who the real dummies are in this picture....


The Recipe: (courtesy of Lidia Bastianich)

6 Large Idaho or russet potatoes
2 tablespoons, plus one teaspoon salt
Dash of freshly ground white pepper
2 eggs, beaten
About 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Grated Parmigiano cheese for serving

Boil (yes, boil) the potatoes in their skins for about 40 minutes, until easily pierced with a skewer (or when you can stick your hand up their back). When cool enough to handle (about 30 minutes), peel and rice the potatoes, and set them aside to cool completely, spreading them loosely to expose as much surface as possible  to air (but not so much that you can see your lips move).

Bring 6 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons salt to boil in a large pot. On a cool, preferably marble (although I used my wooden pastry board) work surface, gather the cold potatoes into a mound, forming a well in the center. Stir the remaining teaspoon of salt and the pepper into the beaten eggs, and pour the mixture into the well. Work the potatoes and eggs together with both hands, gradually adding 3 cups of flour. Incorporation of the ingredients should take no longer than 10 minutes (it only took me three, but I am a quick study) - the longer you work it, the more flour it will require and the heavier it will become.

Dust the dough your hands, and the work surface lightly with flour and cut the dough into 6 equal pieces. Using both hands, roll each piece into a rope 1/2 inch thick, then slice the ropes at 1/2 inch intervals (this is where the gnocchi board really comes in handy, as it also cuts the dough). Indent each dumpling with the tines of a fork or roll on a board. Place on a lightly floured cooking sheet.

Drop the gnocchi into boiling water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until they float to the top (like a wooden dummy). Remove with  a slotted spoon. Add sauce, cheese and bueno appetitio!
Serves 6.

2 comments:

  1. Did you use your sweatshop slave for this process? I love this post because gnocchi is a great, simple food. A ricer is in my future, as should be that gnocchi board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS the dummy pic is one of my favorites too! It continues to be displayed in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete