Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Thanks for the Rum Ball, Mickey!

So here is one of those awesome Christmas holiday traditions - neighborhood housewives getting together to drink and make rum balls while the kids are at school. My friend Sue makes the most famous rum balls in town, and the first year she invited me to join the party I brought the Mai Tais and the Hawaiian Christmas music to set the mood for some Mele Kalikimaka dessert making. This year, I went prepared to take the Bermudan Dark and Stormy route (dark rum, preferably Gosslings, and ginger beer). However, we never got past the Prosecco and OJ. One reason is that the rum balls are REALLY rummy. Even the aroma when you are mixing in the rum will give you a buzz. With one bite you can eat, drink and be merry - my kind of food. The recipe comes from another neighbor who we think may have gotten it from either her Irish mother or Italian father - either way they are little balls with a big kick.





1972 was the best Christmas ever - Santa brought me the Mickey Mouse Gumball Machine. Now, I already had the Mickey Mouse AM transistor radio and the Mickey Mouse camera (the flash cube stuck between his ears), but a home gumball machine was the piste de resistance of my collection. Of course, as with all joys on Christmas morning, a little rain must fall - I don't think I ever got the gum refills once the first batch got eaten (by Christmas afternoon). And, I remember the bottom broke or was jimmied open by someone who needed money, so that was a bust. Nonetheless, it still is one of the best commercials and tag lines of all time. (Play the video) P.S. I still have the camera and the radio....




The Recipe:

2 cups finely crushed Nilla Wafers
2 cups finely crushed walnuts
2 cups confectioners sugar (aka powered sugar)
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup dark rum (more to taste and texture)
2 aspirin, ibuprofen or Motrin (for later)

Chop wafers and walnuts in a food processor. Combine wafers, walnuts, sugar and cocoa in a large bowl. Stir in butter, vanilla and rum until moistened. Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in additional powered sugar or cocoa. Refrigerate in an air tight container. Must be 21 or older.

No comments:

Post a Comment