Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Who Jell-O Shot J.R.?

Here is the one thing I am certain about: Jell-O could be its own blog. So, I warn you to be patient with the rambling that follows. Oh. wait there is one more thing I know about it: I don't like Jell-O. That said, let's go to town, and by town I mean LeRoy, New York - the birthplace of Jell-O and home of the Jell-O Gallery. Now, truth be told, after General Foods bought out the company (the brand is now own by Kraft), closed the factory and put the whole town out of business you'd think Jell-O reverence would subside. Not in LeRoy. They are as proud today as they were in 1897, and I know because we had the pleasure of visiting what I like to call the "World of Jell-O" in 2000 (it's just south of I-90 on Route 5 between Tonawanda and Rochester, NY). They take their "watch it wiggle, see it jiggle" very seriously there, and it begins when you walk in the door and the welcome mat says "JELL-O" instead of "HELLO". Having learned from an earlier visit to Graceland, I kept my mocking to a minimum, even when the tour guide showed us the "Mold Room". Now, for a product that only ingredients besides sugar and gelatin are aspic acid and fumaric acid (both for tartness), it is surprising how popular it is. While consulting my "Joys of Jell-O" cookbook (yes, I own it and I'd say it was circa 1960) there are thousands of uses for flavored gelatin. My favorites include Ring Around the Tuna (which is green), Under the Sea Salad and Ambrosia Loaf. I am pretty sure the person who invented the Jell-O shot (recipe to follow) read this book and needed a (not so) stiff drink.


1978, the dawn of the nighttime soap opera and with it "Dallas," starring the now late Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing. J.R. and the Ewing clan conivived and finaggled their way to wealth and power in the Texas oil industry (I will admit, the orginal title for this post was "Ewing Oil and Vinegar Dressing"). Lust for power, love and money made Dallas the number one show year after year and more people watched the "Who Shot J.R.?" episode than actually live on the planet (I remember watching it with my sistr and a couple of her high school friends at a Pizza Hut on 8 Mile). Dallas wasn't just a tv show, it was an event. And, I will admit that it spawned my all-time most favorite show ever- Knots Landing, but that's for another post. 13 seasons of prime time greatness, well, only 12 if you don't consider the one that was just a dream.

The Recipe:
  • 3 oz Jell-O or other gelatin (any flavor, but is there really any other brand other than Jell-O?)
  • 6 oz water
  • 6 oz vodka (or other distilled spirit)


    1. Pour gelatin into a bowl.
    2. Add boiling water, stirring until gelatin is dissolved
    3. Stir in liquor.
    4. Refrigerate until cool.
    5. Pour into shot glasses, molds, or a baking pan for a sheet of Jell-O to cut up once set. Tip: The small, plastic shot cups are perfect because the drinker can just squeeze the shot out.
    6. Refrigerate until the liquid sets. (At least 2 hours, but overnight refrigeration is recommended)
    7. Serve cold. So easy, a child could do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment