Tuesday, April 24, 2012

(Not a) Single Luxury Brownies

Turns out, there is no "one" brownie recipe. In fact, when one begins looking at just how many varieties of brownies there are, it is quite overwhelming. You've got fudge, chocolate, blonde, butterscotch, and peanut butter just to scratch the surface. In fact, there were no fewer than 20 brownie variations in the cookbooks I own, let alone if you begin to search on line - and it seems everybody has a favorite. Here at our house, the favorite comes from a store bought mix (gasp - I know). I am referring to the No Pudge brand, that you simply add 2/3 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt and bake. Not surprisingly, Trader Joes has there own version called Reduced Guilt Brownies that are equally as good and the psychology behind the health fact works very well. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Anyway, today's recipe (if you haven't figured it out already from the title) comes courtesy of our favorite uncharted desert isle by way of Mary Ann's Cookbook. A fudgy concoction that is sure to please, and a nice break when all you have is coconuts and bananas. And let me finally say, (although why do I think I have to wrap up my comments? I mean this is my food blog afterall) brownie, unlike cake and cookie batter, is not appetizing raw, it needs to be baked. You're welcome.






Every time I venture into the world of Gilligan's Island I find myself asking the same question: Why were a millionaire and his wife on board the SS Minnow anyway? And, it is not just now with my adult sensibilities - this issue bugged me a kid. Really, didn't they have their own yacht?  I mean a million dollars was a lot of money in 1964, and yet this high-falutin rich couple find themselves on a chartered boat crewed by an inept captain and bumbling first mate along with peasant  fellow passengers on the order of an absent minded professor (and NOT the famous one), a Kansas farm girl (and NOT the famous one) and a soft-spoken starlet (and NOT the famous one).  I find it hard to believe. Next, you'll say an Air Force Major finds a bottle with a Jeanie in it. Or, a man marries a witch and tries to make her fit into his warlock world. I just don't buy it. And, the only belongings they seem to have brought are suitcases full of money - for a three-hour cruise. For that cash they could have bought the Minnow lock, stock and Gilligan. Just sayin.



The Recipe:

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2/3 c shortening
2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 c flour
1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12x9x2 baking pan. Melt chocolate and shortening in a large saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Mix in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in pan. Or, at this point you may say to yourself : hey I should have followed her advice and gotten the mix and the yogurt, just sayin.

Bake 30 minutes (or if you are using the aforementioned mixes, bake for 32 minutes despite what the box says - trust the kitsch-en) or until brownies start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool slightly, cut into bars - or you could be at the bar - your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment