Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Gnip Gnop Gnocchi

When I think of Nonie's meat sauce, I think of one thing (okay after heaven that is) - gnocchi. Fresh, homemade potato gnocchi, you know like the kind Nonie probably used to make. I started making this recipe at the same time I learned Nonie's secrets. The recipe itself comes from Williams-Sonoma, I think I actually cut it out of one of their catalogs, where they have recipes sandwiched in between the products they sell. It is fairly straightforward, just a little time consuming since you first have to bake the potatoes and then let them cool before making the dough. I highly recommend oven baking, too. The potatoes don't cook evenly enough in the microwave, although I have done it on occasion when I was pressed for time. Otherwise, you just make a dough out of flour, the mashed baked potato, and eggs. Roll it out into long ropes, cut into one inch pieces, roll the edge with the tine of a fork and boil for a few minutes. Top with you know what and enjoy.




Gnip Gnop, a Parker Brothers classic game. The concept is simple: You gnip, while your opponent gnops, what could be better? I was a big fan of this game in the 70s - from afar. We didn't own it, but my classroom had it and in our free time we could play games. Sadly, at my school for geniuses, the teachers did everything by alphabetical order. And, being a "W" I almost always got to pick last. It was especially painful because instead of Gnip Gnop, I got checkers. In music class I always got the triangle or the two wooden sticks that you hit together instead of a xylophone or glockenspiel. But, because everything old is new again, a few years ago Gnip Gnop made a retro chic comeback and once again became commercially available. And,my humble yet lovable husband bought me my very own . Unfortunately, he's an "S" and I'm still a "W", so he gets first dibs. Some things never change.




The Recipe:

2 Russet Potatoes, baked and cooled to the touch
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional, it can add a rather strong taste)
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed (1/4 cup at a time)

With a paring knife, peel the potatoes and mash with a potato masher in a medium sized bowl. Add egg, nutmeg and salt and pepper and stir with a fork until blended. Add flour, a 1/4 cup at a time and mix with a fork to form a soft, smooth dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, dust lightly with flour, and divide into four pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope, about 1/2 inch thick. To form gnocchi, cut each rope into 1 inch lengths. Using the tines on the back of a fork, gently roll each piece to make small ridges on the surface. Transfer gnocchi to a floured baking sheet. In a large pot of boiling salted water, add gnocchi and cook until they float, 3-4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer cooked gnocchi to a bowl. Serves 3-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment