Tuesday, December 6, 2011

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be In My Kitsch-en

As you may have noticed I have established a Monday/Thursday posting pattern for "In My Kitsch-en" - or maybe you haven't and just were lucky on those days to find me. Whichever, I am announcing a Tuesday only posting. I have taken a new job at the Detroit Institute of Arts and although we will still be eating, and I will definitely still be cooking, the time for writing about it will be limited. Even though it may not seem like it, this activity can be rather time consuming. So, that said, look for me on Tuesdays. Also, if anyone tries any of the recipes I have posted, please let me know what you think or what went right or wrong. I really want to know.  I have lots of good recipes coming, they will truly be worth the wait. So Tuesday is now synonymous with food and fun, more than just a tue-fer, TGIT.



"If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" was another one of those Channel 7 movies I adored. A great 60s romantic comedy starring Ian McShane and a pre-Bob Newhart Suzanne Pleshette as tour guides on a whirlwind European bus tour full of ugly Americans. Norman Fell, Peggy Cass, Michael Constadine, Marty Ingalls (aka Mr. Shirley Jones) and a host of other great comedic actors of the day round out the cast. McShane plays a cad hopelessly pursuing Pleshette while the tour bus scours the countryside visiting cities like Rome (Thursday) and Venice lickety split. But as a kid, seeing the sights a girl could see from Mid-West heights via this film was enthralling. I also love the scene where Murray Hamilton (think the guy in Jaws who says it safe to go into the water) tries to order a custom made pair of Italian shoes from a shoe maker who speaks no english. He wants tan, so he rubs a piece of brown leather with a piece of white leather to illustrate his point and after he leaves the shop, the shoe maker picks up the Sears catalog and orders him a pair of two-tone shoes. Yes, that was comedy to me at age 10. The lesson I learned was to never see Europe by bus. So of course on my first trip, we put over 2,000 miles on our rental car racing from one city to the next in two weeks time leaving me to say "Wenn es Dienstag ist, muss dieses München sein." (rough translation: if it's tuesday, this must be Munich)

No comments:

Post a Comment